Is your New Year’s resolution to get healthy in 2021? Research shows
that large goals can be daunting, but smaller changes lead to lasting
healthy habits. That’s why
LiveWell Frederick’s 5-2-1-0 program is so effective. It’s all about setting small daily goals that lead
to better health and wellness long-term.
5 – Eat 5 or more fruits and vegetables daily.
2 – Limit screen time to 2 hours or less.
1 – Get 1 hour or more of physical activity daily.
0 – Drink 0 sugary drinks; choose water instead.
Make these your small, daily healthy habits this year. Here are a few ideas
to get started and make it easier each day.
Eat 5 or more fruits and vegetables daily.
Get creative with your veggies. There are so many ways to try new vegetables
as snacks and add them to your meals.
Check out these ideas from LiveWell Frederick.
- If you work outside of your home, pack a healthy lunch the night before.
If you’re dining away from home or on the go, ask for an extra side
of veggies or a side salad instead of fries.
Don’t try to do it alone. Find a buddy with similar 5-2-1-0 goals. Swap
meal plan and prep together, or start new physical activities (as
social distancing allows).
Limit screen time to 2 hours or less.
- Don’t watch TV or use your phone, computer, or tablet where you sleep.
- Instead of watching TV this evening, try a family workout together. You’ll
limit your screen time and meet another 5-2-1-0 goal by getting 1 hour
or more of activity.
- Other family bonding activities can take the place of screen time, too.
Read a story, do a craft together, or take the dog for a walk.
Get 1 hour or more of physical activity daily.
- Add 1 hour for exercise to your calendar like you would a meeting or appointment.
This will hold you accountable and begin to build fitness into your daily schedule.
- When working, use downtime as active time. Take a walk at lunch, or use
short breaks to stand, stretch, or run a lap around the building or neighborhood.
Go digital and try a new fitness app or exercise video. There are plenty
of free trials and subscriptions available and free videos on
Drink 0 sugary drinks; choose water instead.
Tracking your daily water intake helps you visualize your progress.
LiveWell Frederick’s water tracker lets you cross off each glass of water throughout the day until you hit
the 8 recommended glasses daily.
- There are so many ways to quench your thirst with less added sugars. You
can still drink coffee and tea without added sugars or add a splash of
100% fruit juice to water to boost flavor.
- Think you don’t like the taste of water? Get creative. Add fruits
like lemon and orange slices or veggies like cucumbers for more flavor.
Learn more about
LiveWell Frederick and find more
healthy living resources here. Or better yet, join
LiveWell Frederick’s Healthy Habits Reset Challenge—the deadline to register is January 15.