We believe that women deserve to come to a special place designed just
for them, where they can receive the highest quality of compassionate care.
Digital Mammography is an x-ray exam of the breast that helps provide early
detection of breast cancer.
Easier Access to Scheduling Your Annual Mammogram
If you’re over the age of 40, it’s time to start scheduling
your annual screening mammogram. This is the best way to find and treat
breast cancer at its earliest stage.
Patients can now schedule their mammogram without a physician order. Appointments
are available at Frederick Health Crestwood and Frederick Health Rose Hill.
Don’t have a primary care provider? After your mammogram, a Certified
Breast Imaging Navigator will help you find one. If additional images
or exams are needed, they will be scheduled on another day after speaking
with your provider.
Before your exam
Please do not wear deodorant or antiperspirant. We can provide that for
you after your exam is completed.
During your exam
- You will be given a gown to change into in a private dressing room.
- The technologist will obtain your personal breast health and history from you.
- A pad will be placed on the machine to minimize your discomfort. In order
to obtain the best quality images for the radiologist, your breast tissue
will need to be compressed for a short time. We routinely need two views
of each breast for the initial exam.
- We offer the 3D Digital Mammography exam that provides you with the latest
technology in breast imaging. This breast tomosynthesis allows greater
accuracy and earlier detection than the 2D Mammography exam. Frederick
Health also utilizes C view software, which allows the radiation dose
to stay comparable to a traditional 2D Mammogram. Please contact your
insurance carrier to verify 3D Mammography benefits prior to your exam.
- An onsite board-certified radiologist will review your images to determine
if additional mammogram images or an ultrasound is needed. In most cases,
we are able to perform them the same day.
After your exam
- A certified breast imaging navigator will discuss with you any breast intervention
that is recommended by the radiologist and can help facilitate the process for you.
- Your exam will be interpreted by an onsite board certified radiologist.
You will receive a lay letter and your provider will be sent the results
in 2-3 business days.
Call 240-566-3400 to schedule your mammogram today!